Assisted Living is a big step in one’s life, if it's for yourself or for your loved one. No matter what, you will want to do your research and find the perfect place. Where do you start though? We have gathered a few tips from past and present residents here at Bel Aire Senior Living on how they conducted their research to find the perfect Assisted Living home.
When determining an assisted living center here is what our residents have considered/done:
- Ask around. Ask your doctor or your loved one's doctor, friends, family members and your elderly. When first starting your research for assisted living it is good to talk to others and see what they recommend, what their experiences were, what question and concerns they had and what work out best for them.
- Look up options on the internet. The internet is a great tool for research. It will help you find senior living centers near you and will help you better understand what each assisted living center offers.
- Read reviews. Along with looking up assisted living centers look up and read the reviews for each assisted living home. To better understand how your loved one will fit into the environment at these assisted living places read about residents that live there currently or that have lived there.
- Tour. What better way to answer any and all question that may arise then to tour the facility and talk to the resident and staff. When on your tour ask to see the rooms, dinning area, and see if you can join in on an activity or eat a meal there. Doing so will help you better understand what a normal day will look like for your elderly.
- Price. When on tour you can talk and discuss the price of the assisted living center. Also ask about payment options/plans, any benefits (VA/Medicaid), and others ways to pay for senior living.
- Care Needs. Each senior living center has similar care needs, but make sure that the center can and will assist in any special needs your loved one may need. For example dressing, bathing, or even physical therapy.
- Staff Friendliness. One important aspect to look for when looking for a facility is the friendliness of the staff. Why is this so important? The reason being is you will want them to care for your loved like their own family and take the utmost care. You will want staff to not only knows the name of your elderly, but also your name.
- Location. Location.Location. Location is so very important, because you will want to visit your loved one and have others be able to visit them as well.
- Services. Senior living centers have different in-house services. Here at Bel Aire Senior Living we have a hydration program, custom interior design, bus rides, and so much more. (to learn more follow this link http://belairecare.com/services/)
- Memory Care. Some assisted living center have a wing special dedicated to residents with Alzheimer's and Dementia. So always take that into consideration if your loved one might develop or has started to develop Dementia and or Alzheimer’s. Make sure to ask to tour these wings as well, as they may be separate.
Still have questions visit our blog post entitled
"What is Assited Living"
or check out our FREE E-Book