More often than not people look forward to Memorial day weekend as a time to get together and have fun. It's a three day weekend for most. So why not plan something fun and exciting to do?
Why though are we given a three day weekend? What does Memorial Day really stands for?
It is a day in which we remember and honor those who have fallen in active military duty. Parades are thrown to honor passed servicemen and graves are decorate with flowers and flags. If it wasn't for the those who have fought for our country we would not be able to live and be free here in America.
Did you know?
These five facts about Memorial Day?
- A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3pm local time on Memorial Day. This started in 2000 when the US government passed legislation that all American are encouraged to pause for a National Moment of Remembrance.
- Memorial Day did not become a federal holiday until 1971.
- Memorial Day started out as Decoration Day
- Recently freed slaves were some of the first to commemorate the fallen.
- The holiday’s founder is John J. Logan.
Today let's all remember who has served, who is serving and why they are serving for our country.
Here at Bel Aire Senior Living we honor and remember the men and woman who have served for us and who have died fighting for us. Want to see how we honor our Veterans? Schedule a tour and see for yourself!
Or click here to read other ways we have celebrated Memorial Day in the past.
Here are some amazing links that can inform you more on what Memorial Day !!
- Know that Memorial Day and Veterans day are two different holidays. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/05/29/why-memorial-day-is-different-from-veterans-day/
- The history of Memorial Day. http://www.pbs.org/national-memorial-day-concert/memorial-day/history/