When you first think of a Senior Living Activity or something you can do with the elderly, the first thing that pops into mind is Bingo. But there are so many things you can do to have fun and connect to your family members or elders on a more personal level.
Here are 10 Activities that can help accomplish this goal….
- Playing a card game: There are so many ways you can play cards, such as playing poker or black jack with the adults or playing crazy eight and old maid with kids. No one is too old or too young to play a card game. This option also gives you the opportunity to grow closer to your relative by asking them questions of their child hood, or just how life is going.
- Baking: Baking is another amazing opportunity to grow closer together. The nice thing about this option is that you can bake one-on-one or have it with a group of young children and adults. You can make this experience fun by doing something that they can create such as cupcakes, have fun with it… you could have everyone decorates their own cupcake and then have a friendly competition at the end to see who had the best decorated cupcake and give out little awards.
- Homemade gifts: This can be perfect especially if you do it with younger kids. Making wreaths with grand kids hands is a memory and something the grandparents will cherish forever. Another way you can make homemade gifts is doing it service based most seniors don’t want very much or don’t need it, so you could always make quilts for charities or people in your neighborhood and drop them off as a family or as individual’s.
- Writing letters: For those who don’t have time to stop by or live far away from your relative or friend, writing a letter is always a great idea. It’s a lot more personal than a text and something the elders are more familiar with. Along with letters it’s something they can keep and read over and over again, and they will cherish it for a very long time.
- Walks: If you are able to go on a walk this is an awesome idea that any senior would love to do. Most elders are home bound or it is very hard for them to leave the house on their own, so it’s a wonderful thing when they can go outside for an extended period of time and let the sun care for them. And who doesn’t want to enjoy a beautiful day?
- Go somewhere they haven’t been: Most Seniors believe they have been EVERYWHERE! And that you can’t take them anywhere that will surprise them. But on the contrary there are so many new places being made and developed where you can take them that they will enjoy. You could do this one-on-one or with an entire group. This would be an awesome experience to try to get them to do new things and grow closer together.
- Drive: Most seniors can’t drive themselves around, because of their age. So picking them up and going on a nice scenic drive is a great way to ask them how life is going or asking them to tell you stories of their childhood or how they grew up. This activity is a more one-on-one but can help you grow very close together.
- Out to Eat: Going out to eat is a great family activity to do. It gives everyone the opportunity to gather around the table for a nice Dinner, Lunch, or Breakfast. It’s a fun experience and something that can be spur of the moment but very intimate where everyone is together.
- Shopping: Shopping doesn’t need to be for clothes, you can go grocery shopping or shopping for little nick- knacks. Fun places to go are normally the cheapest such as a dollar store or a local grocer, just to get a little treat or snack. Going shopping can show that you care for your relative or senior friend and that you want them to have a good time, which can strengthen your relationship.
- Hair or Nails: This activity is mainly for women, it’s always a good experience to go out and get all dolled up and cute just because. Spoil them, get mani-pedis and talk about how life is going or something along those lines. It’s an awesome experience to see them happy and it makes them feel so much younger.
Check out our services and activities at Bel Aire Senior Living by clicking here.
Or do you want to see for yourself what we do over here at Bel Aire Senior Living? Schedule a free consultation!!